DIY Keychain with Shrinky Dinks (krimppapier)


I recently came up with the idea of making a little gift for my clients to thank them. I thought of a keychain with my logo on it and a little thank you note. Of course I could probably just have ordered some in a company who makes them, but since that would have been way too expensive and impersonal I just make them myself. I do this using Shrinky Dinks, which is basically a sheet of plastic paper that shrinks when you put it in the oven. You'll notice in the video we have other brands here, kind of rip-offs of the real thing. But it works just as well. The thing with this kind of paper is that you can use pencils or special markers to draw something on it which you want to be shrinked, but because my logo is rather complicated it wouldn't look good to just draw it with my free hands. Below is the video and right below that, English as well as Dutch instructions!


The paper isn't really destined to be printed on but I decided to give it a go and it looked good, but not as good as I had hoped of course. So I decided to search eBay for printable Shrinky Dinks. So if you want to make some keychains using this tutorial, please note that you might want to find the inkjet (or maybe laser, don't know if that exists too) printable version. You might not have as much difficulties to find it as I do here in Belgium, as I have never found the printables in any craft store around here. But if you're not as big of a perfectionist as I am, the usual kind will get you satisfied too and it's still a bit cheaper. Just make sure you print on the side which is less shiny. If you have used Shrinky Dinks before, I guess the video is enough to give you the main idea. If you haven't, here is a little tutorial with the steps you see me doing in the video:

Print a design on your Shrinky Dink paper. Since the paper will shrink 3 times the size of the original cutout, make sure your design is big enough to allow this. I wanted a round keychain so I put circles around my design in Illustrator and gave them 10% opacity, so that they wouldn't be visible on the edge of my finished result.

  For the little thank you note I used a paper punch. Make sure you get a punch of 3" or more to get a result that is still big enough.

  Bake them in the oven, on a temperature of 150° C. I don't put a timer on because it all happens in a very short amount of time. First your cutouts will curl up all the way and you will think something is going fatally wrong but be patient, because they only do this to lie flat on their back again in the end. From that moment on you have to be really fast taking them out of the oven carefully and use something heavy to flatten them.

  You can choose to use Modge Podge for a little layer of glossiness.

  Assemble your keychain using pliers. Ready!

 Have fun making your keychains and making people happy with them!

 _______

Ik had onlangs het idee om een kleine attentie te maken voor mijn klanten om ze te bedanken. Ik dacht aan een sleutelhanger met mijn logo en een klein bedankwoordje. Natuurlijk zou ik die gewoon kunnen laten maken in een bedrijf, maar dat is nogal duur en onpersoonlijk dus ik maak ze gewoon zelf, met krimppapier. Dit is een soort plastiek papier dat je in de oven stopt en dan gaat krimpen om een hard plastieken vormpje te maken van je tekening. Shrinky Dinks is het merk dat eerst was met deze uitvinding, daarom dat ik hiervoor deze naam gebruik. In internetwinkels zal je krimppapier ook meest tegenkomen onder deze naam. Maar in België hebben we andere merken (in dit geval 'Krimpie' die je kan krijgen bij Pipoos), die eigenlijk niet bestemd zijn om op te printen. 

Het wordt eigenlijk verkocht als knutselmateriaal voor kinderen om met kleurpotloden of markers er iets op te tekenen, maar ik wou eens proberen om ze door mijn inkjet te draaien. Dit gaf een goed resultaat (als je print op de kant die niet glimt), maar ik ging toch op eBay zoeken naar een printbare versie van dit materiaal. Dit is trouwens een goede tip als je veel met DIY bezig bent, je vindt veel materiaal op eBay dat in België niet vlug in de gemiddelde hobbywinkel aanwezig is. Een beetje zonde van al de mogelijkheden die daar blijven liggen, maar door veel te internetten ontdek je vlug wat hier makkelijk te vinden is en wat niet. Als je eerder al krimppapier gebruikt hebt spreekt het filmpje voor zich, zo niet is hier een woordje uitleg bij de handelingen: 

▽  Print een ontwerp op je papier. Het zal uiteindelijk 3 keer kleiner worden bij het krimpen dus zorg dat het zeker groot genoeg geprint wordt. Ik wou een rond schijfje aan mijn sleutelhanger dus ik heb een cirkel rond mijn logo geplaatst in Illustrator met 10% visibiliteit om ze makkelijker en mooier te kunnen uitknippen. 

  Voor het kleinere stukje met 'thank you' gebruikte ik een pons. Als je dit doet zorg dan dat je een pons hebt van ongeveer 5 cm om rekening te houden met het krimpen. 

  Leg je stukjes in de oven om ze te bakken. Hanteer een temperatuur van 150° C. Een timer is niet nodig omdat alles heel snel gebeurt. Je zal je stukjes eerst fel zien omkrullen, maar dit is perfect normaal omdat ze op het einde weer helemaal plat komen te liggen. Wanneer dat moment aangebroken is moet je heel snel de stukjes uit de oven halen en ze vlug onder iets zwaar pletten om zeker te zijn dat ze helemaal mooi plat zijn. 

  Je kan een glanslaagje aanbrengen met Mod Podge of andere vernis (verkrijgbaar bij Pipoos) als je wil. 

 Stel je sleutelhanger samen door een tang te gebruiken (of twee in mijn geval). Veel plezier met het maken en uit te delen als cadeautje!

0 reacties :

Een reactie posten

ABOUT STUDIO CARO

Hi! I'm Caroline from Belgium and this is my playground. I am a graphic designer with an irresistible urge to collect and make beautiful things. I blog about art, DIY, beauty and the general life of a twenty-something. You'll find a tutorial here and there too. Also, I am a freelancer and always looking for new clients, so check my portfolio or contact me!

LIKE ON FACEBOOK